Having a Harry Potter party and want a great decoration to set the tone? Make my DIY Harry Potter flying keys. Hung at varying heights, kids and adults seem to go crazy over them. We kept ours and turned them into Harry Potter room decor after our party.
Here’s my step by step tutorial to make Harry Potter flying keys. They need just a few supplies and don’t take very long once you get going. If you have access to a cutting machine, you can make these so quickly! After making them for Kayla’s birthday, I would up making them for a few of her friends from school because they loved them.
Here is what you’ll need to make my Harry Potter flying keys:
- White feathers
- Hot glue gun + Hot glue sticks
- Traditional glue stick (this one is my favorite)
- Monfilament (fishing line)
- Gold cardstock
- Cutting machine (I use this one) or good old scissors
Here is a step by step tutorial of how to make my Harry Potter flying keys:
- Download my key template. If you have a cutting machine you can import the image and fit about 10-14 keys on a 12×12 sheet of gold cardstock.
- If you are using scissors in lieu of a cutting machine, simply print the key template (preferably on cardstock) cut out a key and use it as your template to trace on the gold cardstock to create your keys.
- Cut two opposing key shapes for each key you want to make.
- Glue the two pieces together using your glue stick to make one key.
- Cut one piece of fishing line per key you plan to make. Vary the lengths so you can vary the height at which they hang.
- Match feathers of similar size/height in sets of two.
- Glue a feather to one side of the key.
- Before gluing the second feather to the other side, add a dot of hot glue, place your piece of fishing line in it and then add more glue to secure the second feather.
- Hang your finished keys using clear tape. Be sure the surface you are attaching them to is okay to us tape on.
- Enjoy your awesome new Harry Potter flying keys! They are great for setting the mood.
Want to make my DIY Harry Potter flying keys? You can pin the image below and it will be waiting for you when you are ready.